Monday, September 17, 2012

I'm a whore

I should have predicted this, but I was recently offered a contract extension to my current job until Christmas, and despite promising myself that I would take off the end of the year to work on my game I accepted. It's really, really hard to turn down guaranteed money. I've also accepted another job at the beginning of the year so the earliest I'm going to be able to start on it properly is probably Feb/March next year.

Sigh.

I'm trying to look on the bright side though  - it will give me that much more time to iron out exactly what I'm trying to do and to get my ideas crystallised. Hopefully this means when I do finally get on it I'll be able to hit the ground running and get it done that much quicker for it.

2 comments:

JC said...

It's a pain, isn't it?

If you're getting a decent contract rate I would really consider trying to negotiate at least one day a week off, it's far easier when you're a contractor to do this than it is when you're in a permanent role.

I've managed to switch back to contracting for the firm I was in a perm role with so I can take more time off. The downside is that the contract rate is much closer to the salary I was on than the market rates, so I'm actually earning less as a contractor than I was in a perm role. The upside is I get two days a week to work on personal projects.

Unknown said...

This is a great idea. I know that mostly they're busy enough to want me here full time but I'm sure they'll be weeks where it's a bit slower and I can get some time off.

The bigger question is whether I can convince my wife that my days off are work time and not 'do all the errands and jobs that she thinks need doing' time.